Preparation time: about 45 Minutes
Cooking time: 1-2 hours
Serves: 1 hungry boyfriend or 24 squares or 12 slices
For the Flapjack
300g unsalted butter
75g demerara sugar
120g golden syrup
250g jumbo oats (GF of course!)
200g quick cook oats (GF too….)
pinch of salt
For the Caramel
200g unsalted butter
1 x 397g tin of condensed milk
4 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp sea salt
For the Topping
350g good quality dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a baking tin with parchment paper, cutting slits in the corner for a neater edge.
- Melt the butter in a small pan with the sugar syrup and pinch of salt. Stir well, take of the heat and combine with the oats. Press evenly into the tin, you want to fill the tin to half way. I used a tin of the same size to press on top, to make sure it is super even. Bake for 30 minutes, and leave to cool in the tin.
- Place all the caramel ingredients in a pan and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted. Bubble the mixture gently for 5-8 minutes,s tiring all the time until thick and fudge-like. I’ve found the longer you stir it, the thicker and darker it becomes, just be careful it doesn’t burn.
- Pour over the flapjack and leave to cool in the fridge.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of shimmering water. Pour the chocolate over the caramel to set and fully cool.
- Heat a sharp knife, and slice into as many pieces as you would like!
Enjoy with a nice cup of tea.